Friday, April 30, 2010

Vice Chair Scott Krapf's Legislative Council Experience

With sound prep work under my belt and a cache of feedback from student-athletes, I made my way to Indianapolis April 12 and 13 where I had the opportunity to attend the NCAA Division I Legislative Council meetings. This is one of the last steps for this cycle of legislative proposals that the National SAAC has been looking at for almost a year. With a busy agenda on our plates and a number of proposals to revisit, the Legislative Council was hard at work over the course of the two day meetings. From here, the Board of Directors will have an opportunity to review the proposals for final consideration.

I was very impressed to see how thorough the committee looked at everything. It is clear that the Legislative Council makes a conscientious effort to examine all angles of the proposals that they look at before taking action. Not only does the committee have to look at the impact of their decisions, there are also a number of other issues that are examined and considered. Some considered are the legal ramifications and others being the opinions of other cabinets and committees.

I was invited to dinner by a few of the committee members. We went to Naked Chopstix, a sushi restaurant in the Broadripple neighborhood near downtown Indianapolis. The food was delicious and the company was even more enjoyable. It was nice to be able to put the agendas aside for awhile and just get to know some of the members of the Legislative Council on a more personal level.

Serving on the Legislative Council is such an amazing opportunity that comes with the position of Vice Chair. However, I give the entire credit to the National SAAC and all student-athletes across the country who have worked tirelessly to garner appropriate feedback relative to the proposals and issues that we looked at. Your work helped to make my role in serving SAAC much easier and gives me the confidence to attend these meetings with a wide perspective of the student-athlete voice. For that, I sincerely thank you!

-Scott Krapf

No comments:

Post a Comment